Google

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Personal rant: Why is Vista so bloody useless?


So I’m in a hotel room, trying to write up what I’ve seen at CES this year. I’m using the same HP core2 duo laptop I used last year, only this year it’s been "upgraded" from XP to Vista.

So now my battery life is down from a useful 4 hours to a dismal 2 and it’ll sometimes stall for seconds at a time - presumably because the thing spends most of it’s uptime swapping to disk. After all, it’s only got a measly gig of RAM and clearly web browsing / light photo resizing is harder work than I thought.

If it’s not swapping it’s thrashing the disk trying to second guess what app I’ll want next and pre-loading it for me. I’m sure it takes longer to start up too. Oh, and then there’s the new version of explorer. Don’t even get me started on that…

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not bashing MS for the hell of it. I make a decent living using MS products and a lot of them are very good indeed. I can’t shake the feeling though that this OS just isn’t giving me as a consumer anything useful. It might have loads of cool enabling technology under the hood but if my end user experience is this frustrating I think they have some more work to do…

There you go, rant over - I’ll get back to some CES posts now!

No comments: